Why does garlic rot in the garden and what to do to save the harvest
Garlic is one of the most common garden crops grown in almost every garden plot in different regions of the country. It is generally known that this bulbous plant has bactericidal properties, therefore it must be resistant to decay. However, not only novice gardeners, but also experienced summer residents are faced with the problem of garlic rotting in the garden.
External signs of decay
In order to prevent loss of yield and start the fight against rotting of garlic in the garden in time, you need to regularly inspect the garlic plantings and pay attention to the following signs:
- premature yellowing of garlic leaves, the appearance of uncharacteristic spots and strokes on them;
- the appearance of a putrid odor when loosening the soil.
Premature yellowing of garlic leaves is a kind of signal from the plant about existing care problems, disease or pest infestation
In the presence of these signs, it is recommended to pull out one head of garlic from the ground and carefully examine the cloves and scales of the plant. If you find that the bulb has become soft, there is damage, plaque on it, then you need to urgently take measures to save the crop.
Why does garlic rot
In order for measures to preserve the harvest to be effective, it is necessary to determine the causes of the decay process. A frequent problem is the violation of the rules for watering garlic plantings. In waterlogged soil, a favorable environment is created for the development of bacteria, it provokes the appearance of rot on the garlic. But the problem can arise not only due to excess moisture, you need to pay attention to other important factors.
Planting site and tillage
The cause of rotting can be heavy soil in which melt water accumulates. The increased acidity of the soil also adversely affects the health of garlic. Acidified and waterlogged soil is an ideal environment for the development of spores of fungal infections... For garlic, areas with light air-permeable soil of neutral acidity are preferable, therefore, when preparing the site, ash or dolomite flour should be added. The soil is pre-fertilized using:
- saltpeter (20 g per 1 sq. m);
- potassium chloride (20 g per 1 sq. m);
- superphosphate (60 g per 1 sq. m).
An important condition for healthy garlic plantings is compliance with the rules of crop rotation. When growing garlic in the same garden for several years, the plants will experience a lack of potassium, pathogenic bacteria and spores of fungal infections will accumulate in the soil.
For planting garlic, you must use only high-quality seed. Cloves showing signs of decay, mold spots, mechanical damage cannot be used, since they become the source of the spread of fungal spores that infect the soil and other plants. Disinfection of seed material significantly reduces the likelihood of contamination with pathogens. Garlic cloves can be sprayed with fungicides (Fitosporin, Topsin-M) or soaked in:
- saline solution (1 tablespoon of salt per 1 liter of water). Soaking time - no more than 5 minutes;
- pink solution of potassium permanganate. Soaking time - 10-12 hours;
- a solution of copper sulfate (1 teaspoon per 10 liters of water). Soaking time is 1-2 minutes.
To prepare a pink solution of potassium permanganate, you will need 1 teaspoon of the product per 10 liters of water
The main cause of garlic rotting in the garden is fungal infections. Most often, they appear when the soil is waterlogged, which is not always associated with excessive watering. Excessive moisture can be caused by a rainy summer.
Table: the main fungal diseases leading to garlic rot
|Disease||The main signs|
|Bacteriosis (bacterial rot)|
Photo gallery: fungal diseases of garlic
Crop pests can also cause rotting of garlic. Insect larvae not only damage greens and plant bulbs, they contribute to the spread of various infectious diseases. The most common and dangerous pests for garlic are:
- onion fly. Its larvae devour the bottom of the bulb, scales, penetrate into the root crop. Plants begin to grow slowly, wither, dry out. Damaged heads soften, emit an unpleasant odor, and rot;
- garlic nematode. It is a small filamentous worm. It feeds on the sap of the plant. As a result, the bottom of the head collapses, cracks, the bulb begins to turn outward and rot;
- onion root mite. Most often, it settles in weakened plants, damages the scales, which are covered with brown dust, thinns the bottom. The roots of the garlic die off, and the head begins to rot.
Photo gallery: pests of garlic
What to do if garlic starts to rot in the beds
If you find that the garlic plantings are infected with spores of fungal infections, then ruthlessly remove all diseased plants. It is impossible to cure them, and if you leave them in the garden, they will infect the entire crop. The land on the site is spilled with fungicides. For this purpose, you can use Bordeaux liquid, Fundazol, Gamair, Maxim (according to the instructions).
The drug is used both against disease control and for prophylactic purposes on more than 30 plant species in any climatic zone.
Remember: the longer the disease remains untreated, the more fatal the consequences will be, the less chance of saving the crop!
It is better to deal with garlic pests with folk remedies that are harmless to the environment and humans:
- inflorescences of tansy (1 kg) are poured with water (3 l), brought to a boil, then cooled and filtered. Garlic is sprayed with the finished broth;
- young shoots of yarrow (0.8 kg) pour 10 liters of boiling water, insist for 2 days. After straining, they are used for processing plantings;
- 1 kg of nettle is poured into 10 liters of warm water, left to ferment for 4-5 days. Then the infusion is filtered, diluted with water in a ratio of 1:50 and the plants are sprayed.
Video: how to protect garlic from rot
Prevention of rotting garlic in the garden
Rotting garlic in the garden can be prevented by providing the crop with optimal conditions for growth and development. For this:
- you should follow the rules of crop rotation and plant the garlic in its original place no earlier than 3 years later;
- use for planting only healthy planting material with pre-sowing treatment;
- carefully prepare the soil for growing garlic. It is also recommended to disinfect it by spilling it with a pink solution of potassium permanganate or treating it with Fitosporin;
- be sure to process garden tools in a strong solution of potassium permanganate;
- feed the crop with nitrogen-containing fertilizers in a timely manner;
- keep the soil in the garden loose, remove weeds in time;
- do not overmoisten the soil.
Knowledge of the possible causes of garlic decay in the garden, adherence to cultivation technology and the timely adoption of effective measures in the event of a problem will allow you to get a high-quality, long-stored crop.
[Votes: 4 Average: 4.5]
Garlic turns yellow in the garden - how to water and feed?
When garlic begins to turn yellow in the spring in the garden, many gardeners begin to worry. This is understandable, because such a process is an abnormal phenomenon, and it can ultimately affect the yield of the crop. But this problem is not hopeless, and the vegetable can be reanimated. The main thing is to know the reason for this. And knowing the reason, you can already start treatment or take preventive measures in time.
Most often, this happens with winter garlic, which is planted in the fall before winter. To avoid trouble in the spring, do not neglect the rules for planting it in the fall. It is important to observe planting dates, crop rotation and agricultural technology. It seems to be little things for someone, but they are also very important for growing a healthy and large harvest.
However, having planted the planting material correctly in the fall, it is possible that problems will not arise in the spring and even in the summer. So let's understand the reasons for the yellowing of the plant and what can be done to quickly cure it.
Winter garlic rots. What is the reason and what to do?
Hello! Please tell me what happened to my garlic this year. It was planted before the winter, rose on time. At first it developed normally, then the tips of the lower leaves began to turn slightly yellow, then the lower leaves as a whole, then the whole plant ... About 2 weeks ago I realized that individual heads began to rot. Now in one half of the garden all the garlic has rotted. Last year, calendula and potatoes grew on this bed. Powdery mildew began to appear on the calendula in mid-August (it was humid and warm), I immediately removed it. After collecting the potatoes, the site was sown with mustard, which was embedded in the soil 2 weeks before planting the garlic. At the end of April, the Vesennee fertilizer was scattered over the garlic bed, then, after the leaves began to turn yellow, urea was scattered. I managed to feed it once with Zdraven fertilizer for onions and garlic. I did all this at intervals. There is no slope in the bed, completely flat. Now I need advice on how this happened, how to avoid such a situation in the future and, most importantly, how to disinfect this land, while there is still time until the end of the season. I really hope for your help!
Preventive measures include:
- Compliance with crop rotation. Onions are planted in the previous place no earlier than 3-4 years later.
- Selection of Disease Resistant Varieties. These include Supra, Farmer Late, Stardust F1, Comet, Goliath, Erica, Stutti, Sterling F1.
- Treatment of seeds and soil before sowing. The beds are poured over with boiling water and covered with foil for 4 days. Before planting, watered with "Fitosporin" (5 g of powder 10 liters of water). The bulbs are soaked for an hour in a warm (+ 45 ° C) pink solution of potassium permanganate.
- Loosening and weeding is carried out every 2 weeks.
- Planting carrots and scented tobacco as neighbors (save from onion flies), calendula, marigolds and nasturtium (save from nematode infection).
How to treat onions from rot
When onion fly worms appear, you can water the plants by preparing a solution of 200 grams of tobacco, laundry soap and ground red pepper (1 tablespoon each). Insist tobacco in 2-3 liters of hot water for three days, then bring the volume to 10 liters, add soap and pepper.
When the feather grows by 8-10 cm, you can water the onion with a solution of table salt (250-300 grams per ten-liter bucket) every 2-3 weeks.
Insecticides can also be used to control pests. Industrial preparations Aktara, Karate Zeon, Inta-vir are suitable for spraying. When using chemicals, strictly follow the instructions for use on the packaging and observe the waiting times: time after processing to harvest - 14-21 days.
Photo Gallery: Onion Pest Control ChemicalsOne half of the prepared Aktara solution is used for irrigation, the other for spraying The drug acts quickly and gives a high percentage of insect death Inta-vir is used only with the massive appearance of pests, for prevention it is not used
Top dressing of garlic in June with yeast
Truly, garlic yeast is a beneficial nutrient for feeding. To feed the garlic, a 100-gram briquette of baker's yeast (or 10 g of granulated yeast) must be dissolved in a bucket of heated water and left for 2 hours. For better fermentation, you can add 2 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar. The concentrate is diluted with water at a concentration of 1: 5 and the beds are watered.
It must be borne in mind - during the fermentation of yeast from the soil, calcium and potassium are heavily consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to combine a similar fertilizer with feeding with wood ash, as a natural treasure of these microelements - add 200 g of wood ash in 10 liters of the finished working solution and feed the plants with a freshly prepared composition. Yeast gravy is carried out no more than 3 times per season.
The subtleties of choosing a landing site
Do not forget that the place where it is planted affects the quality and healthy development of garlic. What in no case should you do is plant this crop twice in a row in the same place. It is this reason that ranks second in the list of answers to the question "why did the garlic start to rot".
In rare cases, it is possible to grow air bulbs, and then one-toothed in one place, but it is imperative to carry out preventive treatment of the beds with fungicides and closely monitor the condition of the plants. You should not plant garlic next to potatoes, since this culture stimulates the development of fusarium wilting in all plants surrounding it.
To disinfect the beds, you can use a solution of copper sulfate, a strong solution of potassium permanganate, special preparations, for example, "HOM".
In addition, the landing site should not be in the lowlands, where water is retained. Remember that high humidity creates an ideal environment for fungal spores to grow. The site can be additionally fertilized with a mixture of nitrate (200 grams), potassium chloride (200 grams) and superphosphate (600 grams) per 10 square meters. It is imperative to maintain a distance between the planted teeth of at least 10 centimeters, the depth should not be less than 4 centimeters.