Features of growing decorative viburnum Buldenezh
Buldenezh is translated from French as "snow globe". This variety of decorative viburnum attracts attention with its unusual spherical snow-white inflorescences.
The plant of French origin not only looks great, but also has medicinal properties and is widely known in cosmetology and folk medicine. Decoctions and tinctures based on the bark and flowers of the plant are able to cleanse blood vessels, normalize blood pressure, restore the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, strengthen the immune system, relieve colds, and tone and cleanse the skin.
Features of viburnum Buldenezh
This type of plant belongs to undersized shrubs, reaching a height of three meters. With abundant flowering, viburnum gives the minimum amount of fruit and almost no seeds. That is why the plant reproduces mainly by layering and cuttings. Buldenezh is considered a fast-growing plant, which in a short time acquires a lush blooming crown of white or colored inflorescences.
Decorative viburnum feels favorable on wet soils, as it loves water very much. For the full development of its root system, a sufficient amount of moisture and nutrients is needed. With proper planting and care, viburnum will delight with its flowering for thirty days. Usually this period occurs in May - June, depending on weather conditions and climate. The plant is frost-resistant and not demanding on fertilizing and soil.
Breeding methods for viburnum Buldenezh
Planting is recommended in spring or autumn, but in different ways. If you choose to plant in late autumn, then it is better to use the root division method. The side shoots of the shrub must be carefully cut off along with the root and planted in a new area. During the winter period, the plant will only get stronger, frosts and blizzards are not afraid of it.
When planting in spring, it is better to use layering reproduction. The branch of the bush, which is lowest to the ground, must be tilted to the soil, pinned with a staple made of strong wire and covered with soil. During the rooting period, water this part of the plant abundantly and regularly until full roots appear.
It is not easy to plant a plant using cuttings, since the process of rooting takes a long time, and the survival of a young plant in a new place is even longer and more difficult. For the cutting, a young shoot with nine buds is chosen and planted in the soil. Rooting and growing the cuttings should take place in greenhouse conditions with abundant and regular moisture for several months. In the open ground, the rooted shoot is transferred in early spring to a well-moistened soil.
It is very important to note that the entire period of plant care and reproduction is ineffective without sufficient moisture.
How to plant viburnum Buldenezh
- A place for planting must be chosen with a soil sufficiently moistened by nature or use additional artificial irrigation. The full development of the shrub will depend on the amount of moisture.
- The dimensions of the landing pit are 60 centimeters long on each side and 80 centimeters deep. One seedling is planted in one hole, but if desired, several plants can be planted at once. A group planting will make the appearance look more voluminous and lush.
- To ensure moderate moisture in the root part of the plant, it is necessary to cover the bottom of the planting pit with a drainage layer (for example, from tree bark or broken brick).
- To ensure adequate nutrition after the drainage layer, a mixture of dressings containing potassium and phosphorus is poured into the pit, as well as leafy soil, humus and peat. The roots of the plant are covered with earth and watered with plenty of water.
- The Buldenezh stalk must be planted to a depth of no more than 5 centimeters, covered with soil and lightly tamped, after which abundant watering is carried out.
- It is recommended to cover the soil around the plant with a mulch layer immediately after planting to maintain moisture and warmth in the soil. It can consist of small sawdust, fallen leaves, grass cuttings, as well as spruce or pine needles.
Viburnum care Buldenezh
An unpretentious shrub plant has its own care requirements that must be carefully followed.
- Regular and timely watering, especially on hot summer days.
- Application of fertilizers of organic or mineral content, which are recommended for decorative flowering plants.
- Timely and regular pruning of old, dried and damaged shoots and removal of faded inflorescences. This only applies to mature plants and is not recommended for shrubs in the first year of life.
- Carefully monitor the appearance of pests or diseases and destroy them in time. The most common pests are leaf beetle, aphid and cruciferous flea.
Historians claim that the viburnum Buldenezh appeared in our country thanks to Catherine the Great. At least, this happened precisely during the reign of Catherine, only the richest officials and landowners could afford shrubs in their garden. However, the farming technique of the Snow Globe turned out to be very simple, and the culture quickly spread to various sites, where it was often planted between roses and jasmine.
A well-known technique for making porcelain items, called "buldenezh". It appeared in the 18th century and means manual application of stucco moldings resembling viburnum flowers to dishes and other products. "Boule de Neige" is translated from French by the phrase "Snow Globe". There is evidence that this viburnum was bred in France. Its extremely high frost resistance allowed the plant to quickly spread throughout the world, including the territory of Siberia.
When deciding to plant Buldenezh on your site, you need to understand that you will have to systematically deal with aphids (this viburnum is very fond of ants, who are considered "shepherds" of aphids). We must also imagine the size of the bush, which in a few years can grow to five meters in size. Otherwise, there are no problems with growing shrubs.
It is believed that the viburnum Buldenezh has three types:
- roseum (terry).
The latter is especially fluffy, in addition, its flowers eventually change color from greenish to pale pink. The entire flowering period is about a month. If the wilted inflorescences are removed in time, then the bushes themselves, without flowers, are very decorative throughout the season, which is widely used to decorate parks, gardens and other territories.
Kalina "Buldenezh" is demanding on growing conditions. Despite the fact that it belongs to frost-resistant shrubs, in terms of winter hardiness it is inferior to Kalina ordinary. In a harsh winter, the growth of the previous year can partially freeze over, but in the next growing season, new shoots appear from the upper buds that have remained intact. After freezing, it blooms poorly. Full or partial freezing in cold winters also occurs on open lowlands and heavy clay soils.
For viburnum Buldenezh, a sunny or slightly shaded place is well suited. Direct sunshine makes flowering short-lived. Despite shade tolerance, planting in the shade weakens flowering, gradually inflorescences become smaller and degenerate.
Kalina Buldenezh is drought-resistant and grows successfully on relatively dry soils, although it is rather moisture-loving and prefers moist or moderately moist soils. Viburnum Buldenezh grows especially well on garden and vegetable garden soils - loose, fertilized, nutritious, from moderately acidic to alkaline, the optimum soil acidity is pH 5.5-6.5.
Heavy clay soils are cultivated - humus (10 kg), wood ash (0.4 kg), peat (3-4 buckets), sand, phosphorus (40-50 g), potassium (25-30 g) are added.
When leaving, the optimal moisture conditions are observed - frequent, watering, especially plentiful in a dry season for young plants. In autumn, with the onset of cold weather, the soil is saturated with water to prevent tissue dehydration in winter.
In the spring, nitrogen (40-50 g / m 2), phosphorus (30-40 g / m 2), potassium (15-20 g / m 2) are introduced into the dug earth in mid-August - phosphorus (30-40 g / m 2 ), potassium (15-20 g / m 2), then all top dressing is stopped. During the season, the soil is watered with complex fertilizers 1-2 times and a little ash is poured under the bush.
Kalina Buldenezh usually represents shrub about 3 meters high and up to one and a half meters in diameter... But with skillful pruning, you can get a tree with a crown in the form of a ball. In any case, the beauty of a plant depends on timely pruning, sufficient watering and feeding. Like all plants, Buldenezh has its pests:
- Aphid. First you need to find the source of the aphid. Usually these are ants. It is necessary to build a water barrier near the trunk of the plant, which the ants cannot overcome. Experienced gardeners, to combat this scourge, plant plants with aphid-repelling odors in the immediate vicinity of the shrub. These plants include marigolds, garlic, fennel, and coriander. If this is not enough, then you need to treat the bush with the Inta-vir insecticide.
- Powdery mildew. This disease is better prevented than cured. It is necessary to treat the bush with the fungicides Zantara and Fundazol. Among folk remedies, spraying with a soda solution is in the lead. If the bush is damaged by more than a third, it is better to destroy the plant in order to preserve other plantings.
- Shield. The main thing when fighting a scabbard is to detect it in time. When single individuals appear, you need to collect them by hand and spray the plant with a solution of karbofos.
- Leaf beetle. It spoils the appearance of decorative viburnum. To combat the pest, spraying with insecticide solutions Molniya or Aktellik is successfully used.
Beautiful and amazing shrub will delight with its snowballs for many years... You just need to know some of the features of plant care. During abundant flowering, you must also provide support for the branches.
On which side is it better to plant a shrub
Lush flowering of decorative viburnum (photo)
Decorative viburnum Buldenezh is very fond of moisture, so it is better to plant it in such areas that will provide it with this component. To do this, you can choose places near water bodies or areas below, where there will be no shortage of moist soil.
If it is impossible to find the required space on the site, then you yourself need to hold the soil in this state. If the shrub is well poured under the root, then it tolerates heat very easily.
Humidity is the most important point when choosing a planting site for Buldenezh viburnum. In all other respects, it does not show any whimsicality, it grows well on any type of soil.
It is very important to tie up a young plant. It has a delicate and brittle wood, and strong wind can break it very easily.
Buldenezh protects well from the summer heat, so it is very useful to plant it near benches or other recreation areas on the site (near a gazebo, etc.).
Creation and maintenance of decorativeness
If you let the growth of the Buldenezh bush take its course, it will not grow very decorative, so the viburnum is systematically cut off, giving it the desired shape. In total, there can be two options for forming: standard (that is, in the form of a tree) and multi-stem (with an ordinary bush). The choice depends only on the wishes of the owner or designer.
To form a tree, only one shoot (trunk) is left, and the rest are pinched as they emerge from the ground. The overgrowth is systematically removed. After the tree reaches a height of about one and a half meters, by pinching long young shoots and cutting out unwanted branches, they give the crown the desired shape (most often - spherical). Systematic thinning by removing old branches in the middle of the crown is mandatory.
They try to form a viburnum with a tree where compactness is required
To obtain a multi-stemmed structure in the second year of a bush's life, it is cut off at a height of 20–25 cm even before bud formation. This causes the appearance of numerous lateral shoots. The pruning of the bush is subsequently carried out after flowering, a certain scheme does not exist, the designer's imagination works here.
When formed by a bush, it can take up a lot of space on the site.
Every spring, before flowering, for any type of viburnum formation, all damaged and dried branches are cut out, as well as clearly weak ones growing inward. Radical thinning of the central part of the crown is usually done in early August. It is advisable to cover the thickest sections with garden pitch; with a branch diameter of 1–2 cm, this is not necessary. Autumn pruning is strongly discouraged.
Video: pruning ornamental shrubs
How and when to plant
If single bushes will be planted, then it is worth choosing a place for them on a green lawn. A plant planted near a pond, bench or gazebo looks amazing. Viburnum looks no less beautiful in group plantings. You can give the bush an elegant look if you plant it next to a barberry, a spirea.
Kalina will feel great even when grown in poor soil, in a poorly lit area. Only in this case will the inflorescences be too small. It is best to plant a bush in the place where the soil is moistened, and the acidity level does not exceed the 6.5 pH mark. Plant the plant in fall or spring.
It is necessary to make a deepening of 40x40 cm in fertile soil, and up to 60 cm in poor soil. Put 30 g of nitrogen, potassium, peat, up to 50 g of phosphorus there. Then deepen the bush to 5 cm.
On the video - a description of the viburnum Buldenezh:
If planting is carried out in the spring, then the roots should be cut by 1/3 of the length.
When planting, the bushes should be at a distance of 2 m from each other. At the same time, make sure that the root collar is 3 cm below the surface of the earth. Water the soil under the viburnum thoroughly and cover with mulch from peat or foliage.
It may also be useful for you to learn about how the treatment of roses from aphids with ammonia is carried out, and how else you can protect your flowers is indicated here.